Steelcase is an American design and manufacturing brand that creates innovative and sustainable furnishing solutions. Their products are based on vigorous research and cater to the needs of a wide range of users and different types of workspaces.
Series 1 and Series 2 are two of the most innovative, ergonomic, and customizable chairs launched by Steelcase. A quick snapshot of the features and functionality of the two models reveals that both provide a comfortable and supportive sitting experience; both are available in a range of colors; and both provide highly sophisticated and elegant designs.
However, Series 2 has some updated features as compared to Series 1 including a taller backrest and a wider seat. Therefore, its price is also slightly higher than Series 1.
This article is going to delve into the debate of Steelcase Series 1 vs Series 2 in terms of specific features, pros and cons. After reading this article, you will be in a better position to decide which chair suits your requirements and preferences.
Steelcase Series 1
Steelcase launched its high-performing and incredibly advanced task chair, Series 1, back in April 2018. The primary objective of the organization was to build an ergonomic chair that could be fully customized and available at an affordable price.
Series 1 fulfilled the expectations of the organization as well as the general public with its incredible performance, elegant design, and wide range of options, leading it to receive the prestigious Good Design Award in 2018.
Features of Steelcase Series 1
Some of the most prominent features of Series 1 include:
Series 1 comes in two back designs: 3D micro-knit and polypropylene air back. 3D Microknit includes lumbar and back flexors which conform to the spine of the user providing continuous support to the lower back and enabling flexibility and movement.
While the polypropylene air back has a specially engineered geometric wave pattern that flexes in two dimensions. This design supports movement and posture changes and provides responsive support to the spine during extended periods of sittings.
Adjustable Lumbar Support
Series 1 has a height-adjustable lumbar support which can be adjusted over 2 1⁄4″. This provides a high level of support to the lower back of users, allowing them comfort for long hours at work.
Height and Depth Adjustable Seat
Series 1 offers a pneumatic height adjustment mechanism that allows the user to modify the height of the seat within a 5″ range. Similarly, depth adjustment is available within a range of 2 ¼ accommodating users of varying heights.
4D Adjustable Arms
It has 4D adjustable armrests that allow you to adjust the height, width, pivot, and depth of the armrests.
Height adjustment is available within a 5″ range; width adjustment is available 2″ for each armrest (overall 4″), depth can retract 2″ and pivot adjustment is available 40° inward and 40° outward to accommodate individual user preferences.
Series 1 provides a lifetime warranty for the seat frame, arm frame, foot ring, base, and outer back while a 12 years warranty for gas lifts, casters, foam, and arm caps. So, if you’re buying Series 1, you are sorted for the longest time.
Series 1 casters are available in a variety of designs such as hard casters, soft casters and glides. Hard casters are effective for smooth surfaces such as carpets while soft casters are available to be used on hard floors or chair mats. In addition, users can also opt for glides depending on their workspace requirements.
- It is a budget-friendly chair.
- Excellent build-in quality as most of its structural components are made of steel and plastic.
- Comes with a long-lasting warranty of 12 years.
- While Series 1 offers a range of adjustability options, many users find them insufficient to fulfil their needs.
- Some users find its armrests a bit wobbly because of configuration changes with the slightest arm or elbow movements.
- Not comfortable with very long hours of work.
Steelcase Series 2
Series 2 was launched by Steelcase in September 2020 after the massive success of Series 1. It was launched as an upgradation of Series 1 in terms of design, ergonomics, and customization. The state-of-the-art seating ergonomics coupled with its slim and lean appearance soon earned Series 2 immense recognition and popularity.
Prominent Features of Steelcase Series 2
The most prominent features of Series 2 include:
Air Live Back Technology
Series 2 incorporates Air LiveBack technology in the backrest that utilizes an innovative geometric design. This design flexes in both horizontal and vertical dimensions to provide optimal support and comfort to users.
The lumbar support of Steelcase Series 2 can be adjusted to a height of 3 3⁄4″. It has soft seat cushions integrated with air pockets that conform to the body of the user and alleviates pressure caused due to long hours of sitting.
4 D Adjustable Armrests
Series 2 has fully adjustable armrests attached at the base of the seat that can be raised up and down, rotated in and out, and move forwards and backward as well as from side to side. In this way, it provides complete support to the arms and shoulders of the user and helps to keep them in a relaxed position.
Seat Height and Depth Adjustment
The seat height of Series 2 can be adjusted within a 5″ range making it ideal for both short and tall people. Height can be adjusted with the help of a pneumatic adjustment mechanism. Similarly, seat depth adjusts within a 2 3⁄4″ range which allows user to modify seat depth according to his/her body size and shape.
There are different options available for the wheels of Series 2. Hrd, dual wheel casters are available to roll smoothly on carpets. They are 2 1⁄2″ large for increased mobility. For use on hard floors or mats, soft, dual-wheel roll-control casters are available as an option. Similarly, users can also opt for glides as an alternative.
- Compared to Series 1, it has a much more stable and firm armrests adjustment mechanism.
- Series 2 provide a range of adjustable features such as seat height, set depth, lumbar support, and armrests allowing the user to customize it according to their body dimensions.
- The use of high-quality construction materials coupled with a warranty of 12 years ensures the protection of investment.
- While Series 2 is certainly more supportive and comfortable in contrast to Series 1, you can’t consider it for long working hours unless you are okay with a firm back and seat.
- It has a heavy price tag that discourages budget-conscious people from buying it.
- The chair has a bulky design which does not make it an ideal fit for offices with limited space.
Steelcase Series 1 vs Series 2: Similarities and Differences
From the table, it is evident that:
- Steelcase Series 2 is slightly taller and wider in size as compared to Series 1. Apart from that, there is no difference between the two chairs in terms of size.
- Both Series 1 and Series 2 have 4D adjustable armrests that enhance the overall sitting experience of the user. It allows you to adjust the height, width, depth, and pivot of the armrest as per your personal needs.
- Series 2 is bulkier than Series 1 as evidenced by the weight of both chairs. The weight of Series 1 is 29 pounds while that of Series 2 is 36 pounds. However, this factor gets balanced with the weight-bearing capacities of the two models in which Series 2 gets a slight edge over Series 1. Series 1 can bear a maximum of 300 pounds of weight while Series 2 can bear up to 400 pounds of weight.
- Both chairs come with a warranty of 12 years.
- Finally, both chairs have a sophisticated and elegant design that can enhance the overall look of your working space. Both chairs are available in a range of stunning colors and shades. This feature is incredible for users who want to adorn their working space in their own style. There are so many color options that you can easily find the one that suits your taste.
Steelcase Series 1 vs Series 2
Steelcase Series 1 vs Series 2: Design
Series 2 has a streamlined and elegant appearance which is considered a major plus for many users. But, it is also a bit bulkier and heavyweight at the same time in contrast to Series 1. Therefore, if you have a limited working space or if you are a fan of minimalist aesthetic chairs, you should go for Series 1. However, if you have wide space availability and want to have a modern and contemporary-looking chair, Series 2 would surely meet your demands.
Steelcase Series 1 vs Series 2: Performance and Comfort
Both chairs have a perfectly ergonomic backrest that provides a highly comfortable sitting experience. Series 1 uses Liveback technology while Series 2 uses Air Liveback technology in its backrest which is more customizable and supportive as compared to Liveback technology.
The highly innovative Air Liveback technology of Series 2 provides a wide range of finishes and gives support to each part of the spine. Therefore, if you have severe back pain or aches, you should go for Series 2. Under normal circumstances, however, Series 1 would suffice for you.
Steelcase Series 1 vs Series 2: Customization Options
Series 2 has better customization options as compared to Series 1, allowing individuals of different body types to customize it according to their needs. It has a higher and wider backrest making it ideal for taller persons. Individuals with a height of 6 feet or more should therefore opt for Series 2.
While Series 1 also offers a range of adjustability options but with some limitations. People with medium or small heights can be easily accommodated with Series 1.
Steelcase Series 1 vs Series 2: Price and Value
In terms of price and market value, Series 1 is quite cheap and affordable compared to Series 2. We can not provide you with the exact price of each model as market value keeps on fluctuating. Therefore, before making any purchase, it is advisable to take a look at the latest prices of Series 1 and Series 2 to take a wise decision.
In terms of price, Series 1 is a clear winner but the real winner in this regard is your budget which directly impacts your purchasing decisions.
Summarizing the main points of the article, it becomes evident that Series 2 is better than Series 1 in terms of its weight-bearing capacity, its 4D adjustable armrests, its sleek and modern look, and its ability to accommodate taller and heavy-weight people.
However, it does not mean that Series 1 is a cheap or a less valuable commodity. Series 1 is an excellent fit for people who want a nice adjustable, and ergonomic chair at an affordable price. Ultimately, the choice between Series 1 and Series 2 depends upon the specs and features you want to have in our chair.
What is the difference between Steelcase 1 and 2?
Both chairs are manufactured by Steelcase, a leading manufacturing brand, However, Series 2 is a big brother of Series 1 due to better adjustability, style, and design options.
Is Steelcase Series 1 good for short people?
Steelcase Series 1 is good for people with a short or medium. However, the user needs to customize different features such as seat height, seat depth, armrests, and lumbar support according to his/her body type to achieve maximum comfort.
Does Steelcase Series 1 have a headrest?
Steelcase Series 1 offers a headrest as an optional attachment. It depends upon the user whether he wants one or not.
Does Steelcase Series 1 have lumbar support?
Steelcase Series 1 has adjustable lumbar support that helps to align your spine properly and achieve a good sitting posture.