It is impossible to imagine an office or home workstation without an office chair. Equally important is furnishing the office with a carpet as it improves the comfort and safety of users.
A combination of a good quality office chair and carpet also adds a professional and welcoming touch to your office. However, sometimes an office chair might damage the carpet which makes people worried about whether they should incorporate carpet in the office or not.
In this article, we are giving you a detailed explanation of whether an office chair will ruin your carpet or not. In addition, we are also providing some useful and easy ways to stop your office chair from ruining the carpet.
Will Office Chair Ruin my Carpet?
The answers address this question. First, only office chairs that have low-quality wheels can ruin your carpet. Second, the quality of the carpet itself is also necessary as a cheap carpet could be easily damaged by any office chair.
Office chairs do have the potential to ruin the carpet. However, whether your office chair can ruin the carpet or not and what would be the extent of such damage, depends upon two factors
- Type of the office chair wheels
- Quality of carpet
Type of the office chair wheels
Office chair wheels are made of various materials such as plastic, rubber, metal, etc. All of these materials have a different impact on the surface of the carpet. The quality of office chair casters or glides determines how smoothly they can roll on the carpet. Office chairs equipped with rough wheels tend to destroy carpet fibers and in most cases, the damaged carpets cannot be fixed.
For instance, plastic and metal wheels tend to be harder and in turn more damaging to carpet surfaces. Rubber wheels, on the other hand, are relatively softer and less abrasive for carpets. Similarly, roller blade style wheels are generally soft on carpeted floors.
Quality of carpet
A second major factor that determines whether your office chair would ruin the carpet or not is the type and quality of the carpet. Some carpet types are more wear-resistant and durable than others. There are two categories of carpets depending on the type of fibre used:
- Low pile carpet
- High pile carpet
Low-pile carpets are made of short fibres that are tightly packed together. Most commonly, synthetic fibres such as nylon or polypropylene are used in such carpets. On the other hand, high-pile carpets are the ones that have longer fibres generally made from natural materials such as silk and wood. These long fibres make high-pile carpets more prone to wear and tear as compared to low-pile carpets.
Ways in Which Office Chairs Ruin Carpet
Rolling chairs can ruin your carpet in several ways such as:
- Constant rolling of office chair wheels over carpet creates friction that causes its fibres to become frayed or thinned. This wear and tear of fibres led to permanent damage to the carpet. Worn-out fibres not only fade the appearance of carpets but also make it difficult to sweep and clean them.
- If the casters of office chairs are covered with dirt and debris, they can be easily transferred to the carpet making it look unpleasant and dirty. In addition, it also builds bacteria and allergens on the carpet which is bad for your overall health.
- If the chair wheels have got oil or other such chemicals from a surface, it can leave these stains on the carpet.
- If the chair stays in one position for a long time, its weight in addition to the pressure exerted by its wheels would leave indentations on that spot of the carpet.
How to Protect Carpeted Floor From Office Chair Damage?
As we have understood that rolling office chairs have the potential of ruining your carpet under certain conditions. Let’s dive into how you can prevent your rolling chair from damaging the carpet. Several methods can be adopted in this regard. We have briefly explained the easiest and most practical ways below:
Keep the Office Chair Wheels Clean and Tidy
An office chair’s wheels are prone to different types of dirt such as dust, pieces of paper, and hair that can be transferred to the carpet during rolling. To stop the office chair from damaging or staining the carpet, you need to clean it regularly. Here is a brief method of cleaning office chair wheels:
- Turn the chair upside down to easily access the wheels.
- Remove the large pieces of dirt such as hair and paper pieces with your hands or a tweezer.
- After that, use a damp cloth to wipe out the dirt. You can also use duct tape for removing adhesive dirt.
- For a more detailed cleaning, soak the wheels in the soapy solution and let them dry.
- Finally, reattach the wheels back to the base of the office chair.
Replace the Office Chair Casters
Another simple way to stop your office chair from ruining your office carpets is to replace the casters of the office chair. In this regard, rollerblade-style wheels are considered the best option as their design makes them roll more smoothly on any flooring surface.
In addition, you can also opt for carpet wheels. These wheels are specifically designed for use on carpets. They have a soft rubber or polyurethane coating that reduces friction between wheels and carpets and in turn, protects them from any wear and tear. Also, make sure that the wheels you are buying are compatible with your office chair model and design.
Use an Office Chair Mats
The simplest way to protect the carpet from damage caused by rolling chair wheels is by using a chair mat. Chair mats help to protect the carpet from any marks or stains. In addition, the use of chair mats has some other benefits as well. For example, they increase the mobility of office chairs.
It takes an estimated 80% less effort to roll the office chair on a mat as compared to rolling it on a carpet. This means that the chances of strain on your legs and feet would also be decreased.
Before buying chair mats, keep the following points under consideration:
- Buy a chair floor mat that can easily fit under your office chair and working desk. In addition, it must cover the space that the user might roll across during the work.
- The mat must be thick enough to provide the level of protection you need for your carpet.
Buy a new Office Chair
This is the most expensive solution to stop office chairs from ruining the carpet. However, you should opt for this solution if your office chair has existing defaults such as broken armrests, lumbar support or headrest, or a faulty recline mechanism.
In addition, if your office chair is incapable of providing you support and comfort while sitting, it needs to be replaced. Our team did a lot of research and we were able to determine the average lifespan of a good quality office chair. If you want to know how long your office chair can last? do give it a read.
Moreover, if you are planning to buy a leather office chair, here is our guide to the 10 best leather office chairs.
In a nutshell, an office chair can ruin your carpet but under certain conditions. If the wheels of the office chair are of substandard quality or if the carpet itself is not thick and strong enough, it can be easily ruined.
However, you can prevent the office chair from ruining the carpet by keeping its wheels clean or using a mat under the chair and desk. If the wheels are harder, you should replace them. In addition, you can also replace the entire office chair in case it has other defects as well.